07) SFL CANCELS LABOUR MINISTER'S INVITATION

(The following article is from the November 1-15, 2009, issue of People's Voice, Canada's leading communist newspaper. Articles can be reprinted free if the source is credited. Subscription rates in Canada: $30/year, or $15 low income rate; for U.S. readers - $45 US per year; other overseas readers - $45 US or $50 CDN per year. Send to: People's Voice, c/o PV Business Manager, 133 Herkimer St., Unit 502, Hamilton, ON, L8P 2H3.)
By Darrell Rankin

In a rare gesture, the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour's executive withdrew an invitation for provincial Labour minister Rob Norris to speak at the Fed's annual convention in Saskatoon, October 21-23.

     "Based on his past performance and posture against the labour movement, there would be nothing positive (Norris) would provide," said SFL president Larry Hubich.

     Without the pretence of consultation or public hearings, Premier Brad Wall's Saskatchewan Party government has been imposing anti-labour laws since it was elected in November, 2007. The right-wing Fraser Institute recently called Wall's government the second most anti-union government in Canada and the U.S. combined.

     Citing serious concerns about Wall's privatization agenda, the SFL is backing the newly-formed "Save our Saskatchewan Crowns" coalition to educate people about the importance of keeping hydro, telephone, insurance and water under public ownership.

     Last year, Wall's government cancelled the right to strike for hundreds of thousands of workers with an "essential services" law. Bills 5 and 6 "make organizing new unions next to impossible," said Hubich. Unions are challenging these bills in four Charter cases and an International Labour Organisation appeal.

     Bill 80, now before the Legislature, will destroy the closed shop in the construction industry and allow the rump Christian Labour Association (CLAC) to organize in the province.

     United on stepping up resistance against the right-wing policies of the Wall government, delegates voted to hold a large rally on May 1 next year at the Legislature to defend workers' rights, and also to mark May 1 with rallies and events across the province.

     About 300 people rallied at the site of the convention on Oct. 21 to protest against former U.S. president George Bush, who spoke in the same building as the SFL meeting.

     "We have a very special opportunity today to raise our voices against the key architect of the economic meltdown and war criminal in the eyes of many," said Hubich. Many delegates joined the rally, which was already underway at the lunch break. SFL executive member Gary Schoenfeldt gave greetings on behalf of the Federation.